2. Kissy kissy mwah. Though it comes in waves and most definitely on your terms, you give cuddles and kisses with such love and abandon that I want to bottle them all up for a lonely day. Even the snot-smeared ones.
3. Chatterbox. So you ended up with crazy parents who speak different languages, and who had you in a country where they speak a different language still. Anyone would forgive you if you chose to maintain a dignified and pointed silence, but no, you’ve got it sussed: choose the easiest word in each language, and wait until the rest of us catch on.
4. Ravenous. Especially when there is pasta involved. Especially especially when it’s pasta with a good, smeary sauce.
6. So, so funny. When Mama hits the “skype” button, the “clown” button is set off on you. You dance, you holler, you pretend to be shy, and then start all over again. You find funnies in places I’d never have looked and you know what? I’m glad you pointed them out.
7. Worldly. For better or worse, my child, we’re on an adventure together. We’re here now and goodness knows where we will be next, but somehow I think you’ll take it in your stride.
8. Broom-fanatic. What, what is it about brooms? Never mind, you have as many as you like, especially if it means we can finally get your hair cut.
10. Tonguetied when it matters. There are so many things going on in your little head that I can’t fathom, though you try so hard to explain. Your doll has a mysterious “ouchie”, you say “grandma” 50 times a day. Do you have an ouchie? Do you want to know where grandma is? I’m sorry you have so many worries, my dear, and I’m even more sorry that we are not yet on a wavelength where what I say to you makes sense, and vice versa.
11. Delightfully bonkers. You hop, skip and dance to your own tune all day long, even, no especially, when it’s time to go to bed.
12. Marvelously messy. I know you know, and you know I know you know, how to use cutlery. But it doesn’t mean you’re going to when you can shovel so much faster with your hands or, better still, just hoover straight off the plate.
13. Always, ALWAYS on the move. Crawling at six months, walking at twelve, you were never going to be one for quiet sitting still. Tough sometimes, just sometimes, you grant 5 dozy minutes with a book or a video, and I sneak in more cuddles until you next go stomping off.
15. Selective. Not even the cuddliest teddy bear or the softest lovey can capture your attention for long, but then we found the companion for you: a little boy doll. And there you are, often found cuddling him, putting his to bed, offering him to one of us for a kiss.
17. Your daddy’s. In you I see your daddy’s limitless curiosity - you must turn everything upside-down and inside-out, just to see how it works. Your affection towards and consideration for others, even this early on, is also a lovely piece of him.
18. Entirely you. There are so many things we are yet to find out about you, what you like, what inspires you, what moves your little heart and mind. As we head ever closer to the Twos, your Stare tells me there will be days on which you and I clatter and clash. It makes me nervous, I won’t lie, but most of all I look forward to discovering even more versions of You.